Thursday, March 26, 2009

Needlepoint Lace Part II: Projects

Since I've made so many monogrammed napkins for people, I wanted to make some for us. But "K" is kind of a goofy letter for a monogram so I logically ended up stitching things like caterpillars, sharks, and this bat instead. The bat is one of the Ceylon stitch things I worked on over the summer. It looks knitted, yes?

Obviously my first thought when I really saw the potential for the technique was "I wonder if it will hold its shape if the needlepoint is worked over some sort of armature?" If so, I was imagining a series of fabulous bras in the technique: How much would you love to have a bra with lace fig-leaf cups??? Ummm... maybe don't answer that question.

The only problem is that it took me 3 hours to do the first petal on this flower. Quickly realizing that the commercial opportunity of this particular scheme was about, oh, nil --unless I find some untapped market of millionaires longing for fig leaf bras–– I almost gave up but my curiosity won out in the end. As it turns out the lace does hold shape very accurately, I just don't know if I have it in me to do cup number two, even though I did become faster. In case you are wondering this is a flower... but it looks like a burning bush. Oo la la!

Lastly, I made this goldfish collage as a gift for a friend. I think it looks better in person than in this photo. The fish is the subject for the how-to to be posted Monday, so tune in next time!

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...