Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lost in Living



I have to admit I am not energized right now. The space we are living in is so provisional and so very dark and closed up. I like to commit to fully being where my feet are, but this time I am really struggling to be present with my work. I don't know if the problem is that "the art of writing is the art of applying the seat of one’s trousers to the seat of one’s chair." as Kingsley Amis said, though I am not trying to write, I am trying to make things. Or maybe the problem is that I am not getting out of my chair enough. Gray, cold winter is a confusing thing after years of sunshine. It's probably both.

Life feels like we are on the verge of something good as a family: the verge of something I should be excited about and prepared for, but I would rather roll over and go to sleep. At the same time I am dying, dying to work, but childcare is taking all of my limited energy.

All that to say I am shirking my work and sharing a preview of a movie I am excited about, Lost in Living.
Disclaimer: The language isn't suitable for the little ears in my house, so don't say I didn't warn you.
I love what the filmmaker says: "What I realized was that it was absolutely necessary for me to redefine my world by seeing it as art. In recording my daily life, choosing camera angles, lighting and subject, I was finding meaning and drama in the ordinariness of it. My little world became my palette and I could see it was limitless. This is what it means for me to express myself and it is crucial to my existence."

Now to get back to it and put some art in our world!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...