Monday, January 13, 2014

Flash Card Collage

DIY Alphabet Flashcards

The girls are in a Super WHY obsessed alphabet loving phase as my almost-four year old is on the cusp of reading. In full recognition that flash cards don't fit every kid's learning style, the girls love them and they have the uppercase letters down pat. This brings me to a burning question I have been having: Why in the bewildering world do we have uppercase, lowercase, and cursive alphabets? Okay, okay, but why do they have to look so different?

DIY Alphabet Flashcards
 
Now we need lowercase flash cards and I got bitten by the "I can do a better job than that!" bug so we are making them a little at a time. One day I did the lettering, and we have been collaging corresponding pictures in batches. Thacia is helping me to look through glossy mags to find pictures. It reenforces the letter sounds as we page through asking "What starts with R? Hey! Ribbon! That's an R word."

DIY Alphabet Flashcards
 
It's not all fun and games though, as I deal with my own Tiny Art Director. The standards for what a king should look like were as rigorous as they were incommunicable. Don't even get me started on princess tiaras!

Wouldn't it be fun to do this with superhero/ comic book stuff? Really any interest you could get visuals on would look cool and could be catered to the little person using them. When they are done I will get them laminated.

DIY Alphabet Flashcards

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...