Monday, February 9, 2009

Sea Foam and Red Color Inspiration


It has been very difficult to post without a camera, especially for Found Stuff Fridays. It is almost impossible to keep this blog current with what I am working on and thinking about because I can’t show pictures unless I sketch them or borrow a camera.
I’ve had it with this, so I saved up and bought a new camera which should arrive sometime next week. I can’t wait! I have so many delicious projects to show you!

Van Gogh La Mousme 1888

I love the simplicity of clean colors and architectural lines in clothing and decoration, but I also go through fits of the aesthetic “too much is not enough.” There is something oh so satisfying about repetition, & exciting about brilliant color. I am especially in love with combinations of punchy orange-red with glowing aqua-green these days. When I found these pictures paging through old reference books, they seemed irresistible.
Enjoy these examples!

From Kaffe Fassett's Glorious Color, photo by Steve Lovi

One morning on the way home from church on the east side, I gazed up the sidewalk to see Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably strolling my way. Fassett’s remarkable coloring was unmistakable, and any doubt I may have had vanished at the sight of Mably’s intricate tasseled intarsia fez & Fassett’s colorful scarf. All of this registered a moment after it was too late to smile or say hello. I can’t explain why I was so feverishly dumbfounded, except that I actually recognized someone on the street I had truly wanted to meet. Rosy O’Donnell, Betsey Johnson, or various models are interesting, but I don’t really have any questions for them. I wouldn’t, for instance, have died for an internship with them.
The pair passed me, and I stood there wondering whether I should hail them and introduce myself. I think that now I would. After all, they would probably have been at least amused. I can’t imagine that they get recognized on the street so often that they wouldn’t enjoy some praise. They were hardly being stalked by paparazzi. But in the moment my collegiate self was full of doubt, so I have not shaken their hands yet.


From Kaffe Fassett's Glorious Color, photo by Steve Lovi

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...