Monday, August 31, 2009

A New Fall Essential

Wool Shorts


The September Issue is out, which means it is autumn, even if it doesn't feel like it. I love this season for the clothes, but south central Texas is a wee bit warm for most of the tweeds you see in the magazines.
My solution this year is these shorts: They are tailored and wool because it is fall, shorts because it is still hot. I made them this week in one of this season's non-colors. Weird putties and beiges are the thing. I love it, since neutrals make dressing that much less complicated. I privately call this The Sabrina Color because it plays such a large visual part of the 1995 Julia Ormond/Harrison Ford remake of the Audry Hepburn/Humphrey Bogart classic. I am going to wear them with every pair of boots I own, knee socks, tights, slim sweaters, over-sized sweaters, wool blazers, and my white shirt with the pearl buttons and lace jabot. Ooo, and lots of navy.


I found the zipper in my stash-- I had taken it from a very ratty old denim jacket at some point. It adds a lot to the piece in my opinion. The over-sized nature of it makes these more designer, while the unexpected wine color contrast lends punch. Oh, and don't go looking for the pattern. I started with a Simplicity pattern...
What is your fall essential this year?


Wool Short Zipper Detail

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...