Monday, February 25, 2013

Printable Recipes + In Search of a Truly Paperless Kitchen

garlic head


Today I am so exceedingly grateful that I am not really a food blogger. I was wanting to share a recipe last night and mid-sentence realized that no one but me probably dares use their laptop in the kitchen. Light bulb. My recipes need to be printable! How hard could it be to make PDFs of 3x5 recipe cards? Not hard, but it turned out to be time consuming even though there were only 6 recipes to do. If there had been more it would have been a lot more daunting!
Without further adieu, here are the newly updated recipes with links to printable PDFs.

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever. Period.

Granola Goodness

Three-Tomato Spaghetti

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Southwest Pasta Salad, and non-edible yet still a recipe,

Play Dough

Speaking of using your laptop (or iPad) in the kitchen, A while back I had been wondering about a way to eliminate all the paper scraps, printouts, 3x5 cards, and disintegrating home-made recipe books from my kitchen, so I got really excited while reading the very inspiring One Bite at a Time by Tsh Oxenreider et. all, about the project to "go paperless in the kitchen."Only, it was about eliminating paper towels and napkins which I am too cheap and enviro-conscious to keep around anyway.
In the wake of my disappointment I asked my App Wizard, Daniel to look into it.  Do you know about Sous Chef? It's an app that I use every day now, and I am slowly transferring my recipes onto it. You can copy and paste text into it, and it will construct your recipe in Sous Chef from pretty much any format if you do it right. I didn't for a while, but no harm done. Plus, you can make and save meal plans as well as construct grocery lists based on a recipe or a folder full of recipes. I wish it consolidated list items: For instance, say you need 5 onions, instead of listing them separately by meal. That's really my only complaint though. It also has a cooking view which is in huge font so you can keep your gadget well away from the action.
It's pretty wonderful. I am using it to make my kitchen completely paperless and somewhat clutter free. For real.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...