Friday, February 21, 2014

Dot Applique Technique/ Work in Progress

Circle Appliques

You know how I was saying that failure was having a domino effect earlier this week? Actually I just told you about it this week, but it was kind of a 2 week situation. I pushed through and got a few things done, like them or not, and right in the middle of Thacia's birthday party I got an idea for this new baby quilt. The party was well in hand so I took time out to sketch before I lost it. 

Where is the strangest place you ever had to stop and draw? 

This is a strip-pieced idea with polka dots. The circles are 2" diameter, which would be pretty tough to piece, so I am using an applique method for nice neat dot. I have been waiting since I was about 9 to use this technique. I saw someone in a park doing a really 90's schoolhouse quilt with apples and plaid- you know the type! I asked her what she was doing, and this is it! Logged it away for just such a time several decades later. 

Use a compass to mark circles onto thick brown paper (hey, thanks Trader Joes!) Cut the paper circle templates out, and baste squares of fabric onto the paper with the raw edges pulled to the back as in top photo. Trim the excess fabric leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Hand stitch onto your squares as below. I used an invisible hemming technique, but something decorative like a blanket stitch or fern stitch could be very valid traditional options as well.  

Circle Appliques


Pull out the basting thread and clip a little hole in the center of the back of the square to pop the paper out. Presto! 
Obviously the technique wouldn't do for applique onto, say, unlined clothing, but this works great for pieced items. 

I am almost finished with all the dots, and ready to start piecing, but I have a few other projects I am working on in tandem I am excited about too. Can't wait to show you!

Circle Appliques

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...