Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Leather Medallions

leather burning

A while back I saw this leather patch tutorial on Design Mom. I was intrigued, but it took me a while to break out my wood burner and try it for myself. I used leather scraps you can buy by the bag at Hobby Lobby and other such craft stores. It must be thicker than what the Blairs used, because I had no problem with buckling. Stencils outlined the shapes, and then I just filled in with the burning tool free-hand. Or the opposite in the case of the key-chain and key shapes.

leather burning

There are so many applications for this! Wouldn't it be cool to put your phone number on the back of this little key and put it on your chain in case you misplaced you keys? How about luggage tags? I made ID medallions to put on the girls' tote bags. Bracelets, necklaces, anklets, headbands. This leather just loves being doodled on!

leather burning

The only problem with being this inspired is that my tool broke. Again. I use it a lot, so maybe it's time to invest in a real pyrography tool. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...