Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Virtual Home Tour: Bathroom

looking into the bathroom

The last room I will show is the bathroom. The baby room is not that extraordinary at this point, and you don't want to see the mess in the teeny-tiny provisional studio. Really you don't!



Because this isn't really in any of the rooms I am just including this picture to show the original cedar beam, the very thick hand quarried limestone walls, and the custom stained hardwood floor. I am not proud of them or anything!



And let's get a close-up of that cutie!

brown wicker, brown river rock floors

Okay. The bathroom. I've already shown you the linen closet here and the bird hooks here. We had to rip it apart pretty thoroughly including tile and drywall. The tile we replaced with river rock from the Guadalupe. As I've said, you pay for nice things in cash or time. This project was time intensive, but so worthwhile! I painted over the posts in the corners, which I wouldn't have done if I'd known we were going to sell it later. In such a small space I wanted it all one color. Others may have different opinions. I also covered up the linen shelving with a bamboo shade that picks up the warm brown of the floor, and we added a wicker laundry hamper that looks similar.

chinoiserie in the bathroom

Chinoiserie continues from the bedroom to the bathroom in the form of a printed shade. You can sort of see in the next picture (especially if you click on it to enlarge) that the bottom of the shade is another stick.

bathroom



The rock floors weren't difficult per say, just time consuming. I learned you want very very flat skipping stones about the size of a half dollar. I troweled on white tile cement and laid the rocks evenly, working in small sections. After that dried, Daniel filled the gaps with white tile mortar, wiping off the tops of the rocks with a sponge. After that dried, he used a super cheap natural bristle brush to brush a light coat of garage floor epoxy over the top to seal it. Watch out for fumes!

bathroom white on white

As in the rest of the rooms I used a pinkish white paint, but I will never use a flat finish again. It looks fantastic until someone touches it or squashes a bug. It's totally impossible to clean, even with a magic sponge! The wall texture in this and the other rooms we dry-walled is reminiscent of linen book bindings. We mixed up a soupy texture, rolled it on in small sections, and went over it with the same Ralph Lauren brush and check roller you would use for his linen look wall glazes. A pain? Yes. So worth it not to have the exact same spattered wall texture as everyone else? You be the judge. I think so!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...